Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine Shop Class/Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTChunk

Industrial
Sep 15, 2005
US
I've been interested in taking a real machine shop class for years, but haven't had the time. I now have the time, but upon further research I've found there aren't any local community colleges that offer true machine shop classes. My boss let me know that my company would be willing to pay for me to take a week-long class on the subject, but I can't find any training classes of the sort either. Anybody heard of anything like this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't know where you are - but around here there are what might be called "technical" colleges - for profit - privately run - that teach everything from machining to dental hygentist.... Names like ITT and Rankin are common here.

But most are one or two year programs and many are offered at night.

Godd luck

By "true" machine shop class I assume you mean "hands on"?
There are some around such as Ivy Tech in Indiana. Some more traditional colleges like Purdue and NC State(I think)also offer some similar classes but they may be listed under something like ENGTech401. You may need to read a bunch of course descriptions to find what you want.
Second suggestion: check with the makers and dealers of the equipment presently in your shop. Some of them offer excellent training or have access to it. Basic skills move readily from one machine to another.
Good luck!
Griffy

True machine shop classes start with learning to properly use a German Precision Hand Milling Machine... which civilians always confuse with a bastard file.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I took machine shop classes through a community college. I felt that if I was going to design mechanical stuff I should have some idea how to machine materials. We sharpened our own lathe tools and drill bits. And did some German Precision Hand Milling.

Ted

My friends who went to the Henry Ford Trade School said their first project was turning a brass cube into a ball, using only a file. Their grade was based on the size of the ball.

The second project was the same challenge, in steel.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Techshop is a fantastic idea! Unfortunately the closest one is in Durham, NC(3 hours away). Maybe I can talk my boss into sending me down there for a week to take a week full of classes.

mrainey, I have a pretty good understanding of the machines already(and I've even used a mill and lathe before on several occassions), but I'm just not very comfortable setting them up, etc. Maybe I'll read through the VMS and supplement it with training from Techshop.

All the machine shops on campus at my college offered week long basic instruction on the use of lathes and mills. They were realy meant for students but if you talk to the shop supervisor you can probably work something out.

If you are in the West Los Angeles area there is a good class being offered by Venice Community Adult School.

You work on your own projects, and the instructor comes around and helps you out when you need it. I think he is also going to start covering specific skills... like knurling, for people that want to watch. This is the only class of it's kind in West LA, and it is a great resource in a city filled with apartment dwellers and people without garage shops.

They meet every monday night from 6-9. More info at : : It only costs about $60/12 week session, and they will take mid-session sign-ups.

What exactly are you looking to learn in this week-long class? Lathes, mills, grinding, EDM? A week is about enough time to give you a general overview of each technology. You won't learn enough in a weeks time to be mildly proficient at any manual machine, minus some basic drilling and tapping and learning how to mill a square block. If you went to VaTech, then what you'll learn in a week is equivalent to what you learned in your 2nd year manufacturing technology lab (prof was a ME who drove a customized woody if I remember correctly).

If you're looking to learn more about CNC style machining, you need to focus on a training class such as a MasterCAM programming class. That will show you how the machines profile features and how the programming packages work. They will also give you the added benefit of a simulation package that tells you when you're going to crash the tool. For hands on, look up your nearest Haas warehouse. They generally run training courses on various CNC machines.

Can you be more specific about what you're looking to setup? Give us an idea of the application and we might be able to suggest several options.

TripleZ, I did take the Industrial Engineering manufacturing lab and although it was a basic introduction to mills, lathes, etc., I didn't feel confident in machining anything and I still don't today. It all boils down to this: I need more practice. I'd prefer manually operated machines, but I'll take anything.
I worked on a couple projects with "Dr. Bob", who drove the modified Morris Minor(I think). He was a great professor.
I'll look up Haas.

You might also consider learning on your own-buy a small lathe and some tooling and a good book. The Southbend 'How to run a lathe' is a classic book and I still refer to mine on occasion after 30 years. You will be surprised at what you can learn to do fairly quickly. I've found that most machinists are willing to share what they know and you might even find one to help you get going by showing you some basic things. If buying a used machine it would be best to enlist the help of a qualified person unless you are familiar with what to look for.

Bob

I took classes at Ivy tech Indianapolis. I would definetly check trade schools. But 90 percent of what I know was trial and error and very knowledgable co-workers. I'm not sure you can learn very much in a week. I would how ever if you already have a machine in your shop check with the maker of that machine on their classes.

I'm not sure where you're located, but Sinclair Community College in Dayton, OH has the best machinist training program in the Midwest. Someone told me that the program was put together by General Motors.

I'm in Cincinnati, OH and the training offered in the local community colleges could certainly be better. The University of Cincinnati offers training through their College of Applied Science; they seem to have a decent program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back