Machine Tool Specification

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaizad

Mechanical
Dec 9, 2004
US
Hello,

We are thinking about purchasing a new CNC machine for which a machine specification document is to be prepared. I have never done one before. Is there a sample or a resource I can refer to as a guide which will help me prepare one. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Were I doing it I would ask the folks who were going to be using it what they thought. What capacities do they need? What kind of work will you be doing? What features do they want? Where will you put it? Do you need a floating pad? Will there be glare on the screen? What about power, air, vibrations, noise?

Then I would do a search and get literature from all the machines that looked close. Go through and see which features you want. Then go to practical machinist.com and ask for opinions.

You will be taking notes during all this and the final set of opinions will be your specification list.

Then see whose machines match best, find out who has those machines and ask them what they think.

(Remember with a CNC machine you need a machinist and a CNC operator. They can be the same person but they are two different sets of skills and you really do need both.)

When you are done arrange your notes and you will have your form.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

What is needed for running a CNC machine is a programmer, a setup person or operator. Anymore there is no need for a machinist to do machine work. The setup person can be the operator. Now you may need a tool maker for fixturing etc. and he does need to be a machinist.

It is exactly related with the requirements.
1-Table size: Should adaquete to fixture dimensions that you want assamble.
2-Spindle taper. Hsk type spindles will give you high presicion on run out and high turning speed but they are not strong enough against a collusion as SK types. It is a quest?on of is your process requires high speed or high power?
3-Coolant system. What is the minimum size of the internal coolant hole that you have in the middle of your tools. What is minimum pressure for that tool? Usually it should be at least 70 bars.
4-Vertical or Horizontal? big question Small parts, mqss production and 4th axis requirement signs horizontal. Big parts, big table requirement means vertical
5- machine accuracy? what is your part requirement as a tolerance? Or Consider the capability study.
6-Spare parts. What is the max time during a break down? Is it easy to find spare parts and service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back