Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machining alloy 954 aluminum bronze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philrock

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2001
US
I am going to bolt and dowel pin an alloy 954 aluminum bronze part to an AL 6061-T6511 part. I plan to bolt the parts together then match drill and ream for the dowel pins. Final reamed hole size is 5 mm. Thickness of aluminum bronze piece is 9 mm. I understand 954 aluminum bronze can be challenging to machine. A few questions:

What kind and size of drill bit should I use before reaming?

What kind of reamer should I use? Carbide? No. of flutes? Spiral flutes?

What speeds, feeds, and coolant should I use for both drilling and reaming?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've machined very few bronzes, but decided to look this one up as I recalled most are easy to machine.

CDA 954 is relatively easy to machine (60% of CDA 360 free-machining brass) in either as-cast or TQ50 temper, whereas CDA 952 is only rated 20%, so maybe the latter was the origin of your info.

CDA 954 (Ampco C3, UNS C95400, 85Cu-4Fe-11Al) "is easily machined by all standard operations using high-strength tool steel or carbide cutters. Typical conditions using tool steel cutters: roughing speed 90 m/min (300 ft/min) at a feed of 0.3 mm/rev (0.011in/rev); finishing speed 290 m/min (950 ft/min) at a speed of 0.1 mm/rev (0.004 in/rev)"
-- Metals handbook vol. 2, 9th Edn. p. 433.

We machine several parts from aluminum bronze (CA954) and use tools, feeds, and speeds similar to 4140 annealed. This material is has a tensile close to 100,000 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back