Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

machining casting models in catia 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowRoach

Aerospace
Nov 23, 2004
US
I want to have a cast model as my base part and at the next level in the assembly machine it. Maybe add some holes or trim it to length lets say. This way the machined part would be one of the components or steps in the bom structure. I am a lot more experienced in UG where this was easily accomplished using wave or promotions. Does anyone have tip or similar scenario they follow? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In CATIA V5, a part is either a PART (detail part) or a PRODUCT (assembly part). A PART has a geometric representation (CATPart Document), but no children. A PRODUCT has no geometric representation, but it does have children.

It is now possible to do what you want and have the BOM Structure turn out the way you want (outside of VPM). You can, however, use the COPY/PASTE SPECIAL, AS RESULT WITH LINK to maintain your associativity between the Casting and the Machining.

whenever i have a casting to be machined, i find it useful to keep them just under a single part file, making the raw casting as one body and the machined part the second body, it just works better for me...

adam

Are your casting models and machining models linked? So changed occur to both. How do you deal with the part number and drawings. I traditionally have one supplier cast the part and we machine it in house so both parts have a number and a full drawing.

That's why we have two separate CATParts, so that they each have separate part numbers and drawings.

As for the associativity, yes, you can do that by using the copy/paste as result with link. You will need to have both parts open (or at least loaded) in order to see if your machining part needs any updates.

catiajim I finally applied you method to a cast and machined part and its exactly what I was looking for. Doing a past special of the "partbody" from my cast part was the key point I had missed before. this gave me a linked solid in my machine part. This worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back