Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machining data library questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiggum

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2019
HU
Hi there, I've been trying to fill my tools' cutting data to the maching data library.
First, I tried it on the first tab of the 'Edit maching data libraries', called Machining data.
I selected the tool material, the cut method, and the part material, and set a new record. Yes, but in this case all my tools with the specified diameter will has this cutting data, so it is not a good solution to me.

Second, I made a try on the 'Tool machining Data' tab, but here I cannot select cut_method.

NX competitors, what I worked with, has a significantly clearer interface for this.
Ie, In hypermill, the tool database shows all the tools, and all the available cutting data can be seen in one screen. One can easily add new cut methods, new coolants, etc.
A bit less smart way has powermill. (Maybe it is a bit older thing.)
When I create a tool in powermill, i can add cutting data for 14 different cut methods, set everything I need, for one specific material. When I store this tool in the tool database, It will store all the information. When I load this tool again, I specify which material I want to use is for, and get everything back.

Could anyone please show me, what is the faster, or at least passable way?
Ie an endmill, what we use regularly, can be used for almost everithing, but there are 5 to 10 different cutting parameters:
Slot milling, 'standard' roughing, adaptive roughing, wall prefinishing, and there are different cutting data for the helical milling, and the linear ramping.

another example, a ballmill: for roughing, prefinishing for steep walls, prefinishing for shallow regions, finishing for steep walls, finishing for shallow regions.

It is a huge amount of data, really.
I see that there is an option for importing data, how should the csv or dat files look?

Thank for reading this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

okay, nevermind.
I find the dat files and the sample_machining_data.csv. As there is no ramp angle stored in this machining library, is there a way to add some user parameters to tools? There are some tools, where the maximum ramp angle depends on part material,
ie 1.1730 15degrees
1.2312 11degrees
50HRc 8 degrees.
Of course, I can make a simplification..
But what about coolant?
The same tool in
1.2312 with internal water
50HRc with internal and external air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back