Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mag Particle Testing Requirement for Group 150 Structural Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illbay

Structural
May 22, 2001
US
I'm attempting to source very long (> 80 inches) structural bolts with weathering properties. I want headed bolts for ease of assembly and to avoid interferences.

In speaking with a manufacturer's representative, ASTM A490 Type 3 bolts could theoretically be speciied but since these have to be heat-treated after forging in order to successfully pass magnetic particle testing as required by the ASTM A490 standard, the bolts would likely NOT meet the straightness requirement after heat treating.

The rep recommended going instead with ASTM A354 Grade BD, which maintains the strength of the A490 bolts but mag particle is optional.

Thing is, I'm loathe to waive the mag particle testing requirement becauae the unusual length of the bolts seem to me to represent a higher probability of defects that could affect performance. As an aside, though the rep didn't meention it, I don't see where weathering properties are addressed at all in the A354 standard.

Comments?

"No one is completely useless. He can always serve as a bad example." --My Dad ca. 1975

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is 80 inches a typo? It's hard enough finding suppliers for A490's over 8" in this market as it is.

I don't think many people will be able to comment on your current situation without some clarification on 1) what type of project/site this is and 2) precisely what you're tying to achieve w/ an 80 inch structural "bolt".

FWIW, yes, I do mean 80 inches. Or even a little longer.

No, don't want threaded rods. For one thing it's hard to get threaded rod at this strength outside of the high-strength bolting standard. For another, I want a headed bolt for the reasons I mentioned earlier, if you'll go back and reread. Also, I don't know of any threaded rod that with weathering properties akin to ASTM F3125 Type 3.

And yes, I've got confirmation from at least one manufacturer that making bolts of this length would not be a problem, even to the forged head. The only issue is - just as I originally stated - the heat treatment and mag particle testing.

"No one is completely useless. He can always serve as a bad example." --My Dad ca. 1975

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back