Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magnetic permeability of steel at high temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

sciengr

Electrical
Jun 19, 2000
US
My name is Dennis McGlumphy, and am an electrical engineer.  I'm looking for any information on the magnetic permeability of steel for temperatures from 60 deg. F to 2400 deg. F.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If anyone has the answer to the above question, I'd also like information on rooom temperature permeability of steel. Any responses can be sent to nathantoy@hotmail.com. Thank you.

My understanding is that if the steel is in the Austenitic form (face centered cubic structure or gamma phase), the steel will show no ferromagnetic properties.

I hope this helps :)

Dennis and Nate:

You will find info on magnetic permeability at different temperatures in Vol. 1 of the Metals Handbook published by ASM International (formerly American Society for Metals) which is available in most technical libraries. If you have specific questions, you can e-mail me at ftg@gerson.on.ca

Good luck

I am making a setting fixture for a capacitor discharge magnetiser. I require for this high permeability steel. I have been told that I need to use 'sweedish iron'. Has anyone heard of this or know what specification of material i require?

MagnetMan

"Swedish Iron" is a common name for high-purity wrought iron. It got its name many years ago because Swedish ores were very low in impurities. Any modern soft magnetic wrought iron will offer comparable properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back