Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magnetic Properties of various SS and tool steels

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc1709

Mechanical
Apr 7, 2016
GB
I'm looking to replace a BO1 tool steel with a similar material. The current part has shown signs of corrosion, so the new material needs better corrosion resistance. Importantly, the magnetic permeability of the steel needs to be similar to the BO1 steel.

Does anybody know where I can find the magnetic permeability values for tool steels (especially that of the BO1 steel so that I know what I'm comparing to)?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Magnetic permeability isn't controlled when manufacturing tool steels.

If the chemistry, processing and heat treatments are maintained & similar then the permeability will be similar. Do you know what heat treatment condition is called out on your existing part?

Also, what is the permeability of your current part?

Nobody has magnetic info on tool steels. You will have to pay a lab to test what you have and your replacement candidate materials. Might be better to do something else to reduce the corrosion.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

While tool steels are fairly magnetic (and make permanent magnets) the properties are highly dependent on the heat treatment.
You will need to have some of your current parts tested.
And then decide what properties you need, hardness, toughness, perm, ......
The size and shape of the part matter also as to which alloy you can use.
Could you do with 440C? Or maybe a high strength PH grade (Custom 455 or 465)?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Hi all, thanks for replying. I knew that It would be difficult to find the info that I need- I just wanted to check that no-one knew of any databases that I could refer to. The main issue is that I have very little information about the current material (e.g. heat treatment, permeability), only the description "Tool Steel ISO 4957 (BO1 - Gaugeplate)". I think I need to chase and find out more about this (maybe through testing) before I can go about finding a suitable replacement. Another option will be to make some prototype parts from a couple of different potential replacements (maybe 4-series SS) and just test them in situ. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back