Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintaining GDT fonts and graphics during DWG or DXF Export

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicsteve

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2001
US
I've never found a good way to export either dwg or dxf drawings from Solid Edge and still maintain GD&T information. Whenever we try to do this, the GD&T symbols come out as garbage characters. The problem appears to font mapping and/or ignorance on my part. Am I missing some setting that can maintain these symbols or at least export the GD&T as graphics or picture data? I need some help.

Most of the time, the converted drawings are imported into PRO-E (Wildfire III or IV)by our customers so any help with PRO-E import might also be relevant.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are always problems with fonts for these types of symbols.
The problem is that although you can map one font in SE to another in any other system the characters used within those fonts for any particular symbol might be different.
For example the letter 'a' in the font Solid Edge Iso1 Symbols gives you the Concentricity symbol. However, in the other system the letter 'a' in the appropriate font might be the parallel symbol, or possibly nothing at all.
Having said that, I think the conversion to AutoCad is usually spot-on as UGS did a lot of work on font mapping to get it right. It could just be the import into ProE that's the problem.
When you do the 'Save As' click the Options button and step through the options until you find the font mapping page.
This should show you what is mapped.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back