Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

maintenance/calibration of thread gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephERG

Industrial
Nov 1, 2007
PH
Hi All,

Recently, we have received complaints from our customer that the thread condition of our dispensing tools are NO GOOD. Meaning, it doesn't fit into their standard thread gauge when inserted. FYI, my company and our customer uses the same inspection tool (the same brand as well). Just a month ago, our customer's QC head went to our plant and discussed this matter with our QC manager (including me also). We checked the condition of our thread gauges and not surprisingly, the result was, that some of them are "NOT IN GOOD CONDITION" anymore. I may agree on this finding, at some degree, because our plant had never performed any maintenance or calibration of our thread gauges. But I would like to ask for a more reliable and accurate way of performing such procedures. You see, when our customer's QC made that conclusion, the method he used was only visual inspection and BAAAAAAMMMM!!!!! there goes his findings. He even recommended me to do the same for the rest of our gauges. I know that this method is not the proper way of evaluating the "fitness" of an inspection tool, so guys I need your expert advise on this.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can buy equipment that will measure the Thread gage in house. Pretty simple set up and all you will need is a Micrometer and the thread attachments that go on it. Here is a link a site that we use. This will be much more cost effective than sending them out.
The 3 wire should be used as a way to Calibrate the gage and you could also pick up a Tri-roll to use a daily check for wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back