Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make a slot in a tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabioedl

Electrical
Sep 17, 2003
US
Hi all,

I am trying to make a slot ninety degrees around a tube. To visualize it better, It is like if I drill a hole in the tube (going thru both walls) and then turning the tube ninety degrees to create the slot. I think the way to do it is by using the sweep tool, but I am not able to do it. Could someone help me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would try a revolve cut. Create a plane at the starting point of your slot. Sketch the slot on the plane making sure the sketch breaks trough the tube wall on the side you would like and the other side of the sketch ends at the center of the tube. Then use the center of the tube as your axis of revolution and cut 90 degrees. You could also try the wrap feature in 2004 but it may not work on a full ciricular surface.

I just reread your post and I'm actually having a hard time visualizing what your doing. I would make the origin the center of your tube. This will give you some sketch planes to work with. If the the slot is just a straight cut traveling the length of the tube then sketching the slot on one of the plane cut cutting in (1) direction throught the tube should work. If the slotis straight and goes around the tube then a revolve cut should work. If the tube is something your bending and you want the slot to deform with the metal then you should model the tube as a sheetmetal part and place the slot in the flattened state. When the bends are processed it will be correct. Hope this helps. More info maybe.

If the slot does not spiral up the axis, try putting a hole at each end of the slot, then removing the material between.

Another aproach would be to copy the outer surface of the tube (with an offset surface and offset=0), trim the surface to the shape of the slot, then cut the slot by thickening the surface.

[bat]"Great ideas need landing gear as well as wings."--C. D. Jackson [bat]

Sweep is correct, but there are also other ways.

If your slot has full-radius ends, I would cut your main path out along the axis of your tube. You'll want a plane centered in your notch area. Sketch a profile that will accommodate a full radius of your cut (if you're doing it that way) which would be greater than 90 degrees. Do a mid-plane cut, then give the corner surfaces a full-radius. The disadvantage to this method is that if you change your cut width, your full-radius will move your cut to something less or more than 90 degrees, so it's not the best method for editing--but it's the simplest to describe here.

Good luck.

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

I think The Tick's first method is the simplest way to go. Cut holes at extents of the slot, then revolve-cut the remaining material.

[cheers]
CorBlimeyLimey, Barrie, Ontario.
[bigsmile] Sign on a Barrie restaurant reads, "We serve Molsons, but we only smoke Ribs" [bigsmile]
faq559-863

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back