Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Make components transparent in drawing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jboggs

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2012
US
Question for SW gurus: In a drawing of an assembly, is there any way to make selected components "transparent" (shown as outline only) so that objects behind the component are shown? I know I can turn on hidden lines in the view but that would be overkill and just confuse everyone. Example, I have an assembly of hoses and fittings behind a protective shield. I want to show the shield outline but I also want the components behind the shield to be shown clearly. Suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"broken out section" - I like it! Thanks!

"show hidden lines" - thanks but the result is extremely busy because even internal edges that should never be seen are clogging the view.

Actually I solved it now. I created a configuration called "without shield" and changed the drawing view to show that configuration. Then I added an "Alternate Position View" to the subject view showing the configuration with the shield. Alternate Position Views just show the outline of the selected configuration. Worked great.

This is a but of a reach...

Make you parts of interest fully visible. Copy the elements you need with sketch curves. Then make those pieces invisible again.

I'm fairly certain those convert entities constraints will hold even after parts are hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back