Make external part files local

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias82

Electrical
Nov 27, 2020
CH
Dear all,
A company builds a 3D model for us, with Creo 7.0. At the end, we would like to get all the CREO files, to be able to modify the design - and there, the problem starts. They use many standard components from their servers and these files are missing when we open the project in Creo.
Is there a way to create a file set with local files automatically? It would be quite time-consuming to copy the parts from the server manually and to reassign the links of all the parts.
Thank you for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There used to be a "File" "Back up" command to do that. It should have been part of the original contract or you should have provided files for those common parts from your own system.

Creo does not store any file paths within it's file structure so as long as it can find all the files you do not have to duplicate any sort of folder structure. Nor do you need to do any kind of linking. The only exception to that is if an object is a family table instance then you can't replace it with a stand alone (generic) object.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Tobias82 said:
It would be quite time-consuming to copy the parts from the server manually and to reassign the links of all the parts.

I hate to be the hard liner here, but..

If your contract with them stipulates they provide complete 3D data to you when the design is complete, well... they need to provide complete 3D data to you when the design is complete.

Whether they know how to shrink wrap an assembly in their CAD system or not, it seems to me that it's on them to figure it out and deliver complete data.

If I were in your shoes I'd be telling my PM he needs to be making this clear to them.

All they need to do is a File/Save As/Backup to a disk location and then send you that folder. It will contain all of the files used or referenced in that assembly, including any family table files. If they star with the drawing, if they are doing one, that will get you everything in native Creo format.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Shrinkwrap is not the answer! That eliminates internal components and details.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back