Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make two beams work together in Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

alima2065

Civil/Environmental
Nov 22, 2011
GB
I want to model concrete beams in Abaqus explicit that doesn't support *Rebar . I also cannot use solid or shell elements due to the scale of the structure.
I chose to create 2 beam elements for each part ( a beam with a rectangular section for concrete and an I-section beam with a near-zero web to model rebar by flanges).

What do you think about this solution? How can I connect these two beams to work together and consider the composite effect in RC members?
If I use the same mesh configuration for two beams and tie all corresponding nodes, does it mean they work in parallel?
Best regards,
Ali

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd rather adjust the material properties of a single beam to account for the presence of rebar. Your approach is risky but interesting. Use tie constraint and give it a try. Just make some simple tests that you can verify to make sure that it works properly before implementing this in your actual model.

Thank you for the reply. Adjusting the material properties for a linear analysis could be an option; however, I am trying to model the nonlinear behavior of concrete and steel. I will follow your advice regarding verification but is there any built-in feature in Abaqus to generate beam elements with shared nodes to avoid mass tie definition. I know that I can modify the input file but any GUI approach?

Tie constraint will likely be necessary. Equation constraint could also work but it requires even more effort to define. If you have a lot of beams to connect this way, consider using Python scripting to quickly assemble the beams so that they are colinear and define tie constraints between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back