Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making Matensitic SS Weldable

Status
Not open for further replies.

metman

Materials
Feb 18, 2002
US
An article by the subject name was in Fastening and Joining appended to subscription for Machine Design Magazine.

Googled which took me to something called emailinstitute. I tried registering there but ....?????

Anybody know how to access that article?

BTW: SS is spelled-out in the article title.

Design for RELIABILITY, manufacturability, and maintainability

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did receive an email notification from emailinstitute. It is about masrketing via email and no relsults for my search.

Saved Search & Alert Name:weld martensiticKeyword: martensiticstainless steel
Brand: N/A
Parent Company:N/A
Email type: N/A
Industry:Manufacturing
Displaying [highlight]0 of 0 [/highlight]emails matching your search criteria:
Your search did notreturn any results.

Making Matensitic SS Weldable

1. Use elevated preheat
2. Use low carbon content martensitic stainless steel base material
3. Use 410 NiMo filler metal

With low carbon like 410S , the martesite that forms is not "very" hard, and(as noted) with preheat ,it may not crack.
I would not trust it in critical applications/

We laser weld 440C every day of the week. No martensite.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

dgallup said:
...No martensite.

I understand the use of preheat and low carbon 410 noted by metengr and blacksmith37.

Are you lazer welding with or without filler and if without, how do you avoid martensite with the high carbon and high alloy in 440C which cause sluggish transformation?

I have a question:
Is it possible during heat treatment in a vacuum furnace, oil or gas quench for stainless steel parts to fusion weld to one another? Could this happen at around 1070 °C?

Specifically: 440C austenitized to 1070 °C. Parts seem to fusion weld to each other, worse with oil but also with gas quench. My ASM heat treatment states that the austenitizing temp for 440C is 1010-1065 °C, and we onsite always add a rule of thumb an extra 5 °C to our furnace program soak temps. The heat treatment basket in which they sit in is 316L stainless, if that makes any difference. What I believe is happening is that we replaced our insulated box within the furnace about a year ago, and that is being more efficient with heat retention, therefore the temperature uniformity is better within the box, and 1070 °C is now slightly too high an austenitizing temp.

Thanks for your help.
Ian

Metman

No filler. The short answer is I don't know but we have had the welds checked by outside labs. I suspect the extremely small size of the welds & HAZ plays a role.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

All martensitics SSs are not equal, so there is no single answer. A lot of older (pre-www) literature gives advice for welding as if all grades are treated the same as 410.

To add to comments by metengr, when/if possible, use auitenitic stainless filler metal like E/ER309 or Nickel base alloy filler metals which have an affinity for hydrogen.

Make sure the Martensitic Stainless Steel is in the annealled condition before attempting to weld it, even with high preheat.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back