Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making Mirrored Objects Truly Independent???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundevil98

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2001
US
Is there a way to make a mirrored object truly independent of its parent feature in Pro 2001???

I'm trying to mirror a curve on both sides of a datum plane. The rest of the geometry around this datum curve is slightly different, and I'd like to modify the mirrored curve slightly to fit the differences.

However, when I go to redefine the mirrored curve, the sketch of the curve is in the same location as the original curve (i.e. opposite/mirrored of where I'd like to have the curve redefined - at it's new location).

While it's possible to redefine the curve in it's original (before being mirrored) position, it'd be 100 times easier to be able to redefine it in it's new (i.e. mirrored from original) position.

I've selected the "independent" option from the copy menu, but there still seems to be something in the feature that tells is that it was at one time mirrored. I even ungrouped the feature, but had no luck.

Can anyone help me out here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know there is no way to do it.In your case it is probably better to copy the curve by choosing appropriate sketching plan and dimension independant option.

In WF2 the best way to do it is
1- Mirror the original curve sketch plane
2- Copy and Paste(Not Paste Special)the original curve
3- When prompted for new sketching plane choose the mirroed datum plane
4- Place the new curve by dragging it in desired position

This way the new curve will be completely independant from the original one including the sketching plane but will keep at leat initially the dimensions of the original one.
This is a way to quickly reproduce close to symetrical features

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back