Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making nozzles in FRP tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

AoA

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2008
AE

Dear All,

I want to utilize an old FRP tank in stock for a current project. The previous nozzles would be closed if not at suitable elevations. But the problem is to add new nozzles. As per my knowledge new nozzle can only be added by FRP tank manufacturer or may be cannot be added at all.

If it is possible to add, please explain how we can add new nozzles.

Thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"If it is possible to add, please explain how we can add new nozzles."

Step 1. Find the file containing the paperwork (Drawings, Specifications, Purchase Order, etc.) for the Tank

Step 2. Read everything in the file (including the contact information for the company that built the Tank)

Step 3. Contact the company that built the Tank

Step 4. Ask them this question "I want to utilize an old FRP tank in stock for a current project. The previous nozzles would be closed if not at suitable elevations. But the problem is to add new nozzles. As per my knowledge new nozzle can only be added by FRP tank manufacturer or may be cannot be added at all. Is that true? If so, can you add a new nozzle for us"

prognosis: Lead or Lag

VERY dependent on nozzle diameter. 2-inch ans smaller are simple, IF they have experience in structural FRP. Large nozzles will require that area of the tank to be rewound with fiberglass to replace the strength lost by cutting all those fibers making the hole.

Use an experienced FRP tank manufacturer, that will give a written guarantee. Insist on a hydro after the resin has cured.

FRP has totally different problems than metal, and it is very easy to ruin a tank.

Do a search for "frp tank repairs Sedalia, MO" this company has helped us in the past and is very responsive (ask for bob)and they have a mobile team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back