Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manhole VS Floor Clean out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusader36

Electrical
Jul 21, 2016
SA
Dear friends, i was looking to clarify the difference between FCO and Manhole. I have done some study and read threads here but info is contradicting.

1.Look into the file attached where ground floor sewer line is depicted which utilises manhole at every point. I have been designing such models for my residential projects. But i feel something is going wrong as MH (60x60x60CM) cant be put in so many numbers, sometimes being distanced at 2mts itself.

2. What is the significance of using Gully trap in the waste line outside the building. I have seen other drawings where the Floor clean out assembles both soil and waste line without using any gully trap, probably the Floor drain serves the Gully trap purpose. Which one is technically correct..?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f310b105-eae2-46ec-ae95-d03a974ac687&file=Abdul_Aziz_Al-Majed_plm_grnd.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Both the manholes off the bathrooms look similar, so the one at 60x60x60CM doesn't look out of place.
2. I believe the gully traps are also called grease traps to potentially prevent grease from sinks from clogging sewer lines. I would guess they're also used to limit the amount of soils from floor drains.

One thing that I did notice is that it appears that the kitchen does not have any line going from the floor drain or the sink to the sewer line.

cleanouts are installed at angle points. they do not have a trap and they allow maintenance of the pipe. manholes serve the same purpose, but could allow more flexibility in the number of pipes connecting at one point. gulley trap is usually just to prevent sewer gas from coming back up the pipe. there should be a trap at each fixture and drain already, so it is really just a secondary trap to prevent buildup in the manholes. typically in the US, manholes are not used inside buildings, only cleanouts. if you need a grease trap, that is a different fixture than a gulley and should only be used right at the kitchen drain and preferably outside (because they stink).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back