Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manhour Calculation for Welding CS Piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepsteelblue

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2020
US
I'm looking to measure the shop against an industry standard for the time in take in mhs to fabricate various runs of piping that will be assembled on a skid. Is there any general calculation that will help me in doing this? I've looked at welding calculators online but they are very specific on some of the parameters required and all I need for example is just the mhs it takes to weld up 10' of 1.5", XH,CS, ASTM A106-B Smls piping, with a few tees, valves, and flanges. If I had the weld inch total, I could just take that and times my mh rate, assuming a welder could bang out 80"- 100"/day, but the calculation I see for coming up with weld inch totals is different on different sites and I know it is dependent on wall thickness and the # of passes required. I appreciate it!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you know the total weld deposit and the weld process? From there you can get an idea about the arc time.
Hard thing is to figure out the effinciency of the welders. A welder that has to do the fit-up, tacking, all by himself: won't be much higher than 10 - 12%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back