Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manhour estimates

Status
Not open for further replies.

StressReversal

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2011
GB
Hi everybody,

I moved to a new company and they are still getting started with Engineering work. They want me to help them in predicting the size of a piping job so that they can budget it accurately (to a certain acceptable extent). Unfortunately, my experience is limited and did not get a chance to participate in these activities before (but it certainly is a challenge); therefore, I need the help of experts to support me in the decision making.

My questions are:

1. What is considered to be a small / moderate / big project in terms of isometrics? [for example, is 2000 isometrics considered a small / medium / big job]?

2. Is there any rule-of-thumb regarding manhours required to generate an isometric? [for example, each isometric will require an average of X manhours...which will include all activities such as modeling, generating isometric, checking, stress and support]

Thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mr. Penn,

Many thanks for your support! Your website is indeed very informative and useful. As a matter of fact, I have already added it to my Favorites previously, but never thought it would also cover this kind of issues. Anyway, really appreciate your help!

One caveat is that each company potentially has its own way of doing things that might not necessarily fit into a standard set of hours. However, for any company that's been in business for any length of time, they should have the actuals from previous jobs. This is theoretically a better approach, since it represents what was actually billed for any given task. It may be, however, that your company, like many others, either does not have sufficient granularity in their data, or they don't record such information in a usable format.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

StressReversal,
What IRstuff wrote is very true. I would/will tell you the same thing. The trouble is many/most companies do not collect the data and correlate it into a meaningful and useful form.
If you want to get in touch with me, go to the web site I attached in the above posting.
Open the first article, go the the bottom of page 3, (see the e-mail address?) then e-mail me.

prognosis: Lead or Lag

Many thanks Mr. Penn and IRStuff.

I totally understand and agree with you that this matter is variable and depends on each company's experience. I worked with big companies before and I know. The thing is that this company is new and they are still in the beginning of the Engineering business. Average numbers would be good enough for me for starters. I am aware and understand the importance of keeping record of statistical information (such as manhours) because it will be useful for future opportunities, but now this is unavailable.

If I need further help I will get in contact with you Mr. Penn. Thanks again for all your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back