Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Manning's number for fluids other than water

Status
Not open for further replies.

elam

Chemical
Sep 21, 2006
CA
Is there a resource that lists the Manning number for something like bitumen froth (~50% bitumen and ~35% water with the balance being fine solids)? Or is there a correlation out there relating the Manning number to viscosity or density? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BigInch,

your spreadsheet is for piping flow only and may not apply to elam's situation.

Both Manning and Hazen & W. (for open channel) formulae are for water only (or fluid with same or similar viscosity to water - density shall not a problem here).

I really doubt if anything readily available in the world for elam's bitumen froth.

bulkhandling,

I didn't think anything was readily available, but I thought I'd try anyway, in case someone knew of something.

stanier,

I'll try that.

Thanks all.

Sure you can use launder or other open channels for your bitumen froth transportation. But you may need to have some knowledge about your fluid and to make your design conservative.
The best way may be to do your test and find out the relation between Manning number and viscosity. I hope you'll eventually write a paper about a modified Manning formula for various viscous fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back