Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Manual 3-way Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

ic_eng_2006

Petroleum
Jul 9, 2018
US
I am hoping someone can help me with this. An application calls for a manual 3-way valve where when the lever is in the center, there is no flow to either of the two outlet ports; when lever is turned from center, flow will go through one of the outlet ports (lets call this south); turned the other way from center, flow to the other outlet port (lets call north). The application also wants to know which outlet port is flowing. So let's say we use two (2) position switches where:
[ul]
[li]both contacts open = lever is in center position (i.e. no flow through either outlet port)[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]one of two switches contact is open while other is closed = lever is turned away from center (i.e. flow to south outlet port)[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li] other contact open while second contact is closed = lever is turned away from center (i.e. flow to north outlet port)[/li]
[/ul]

The problem I see here is leakage if the lever is not perfectly positioned in one of the three positions (center, right, left). Another problem that could occur if the lever is not fully turned to one of the outlet port positions is that the position switch may not activate.

Does anyone have suggestions to prevent these problems from occurring, even if it means I have to go a totally different route?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with the previous poster, 3 way valves are normally only used where you must ensure there is flow to one or the other branch.
Two single valves will probably be less expensive also.

I read that as 3 conditions:
- block
- north
- south
NorthNOT AND SouthNOT = block
I agree with George and Roy, two valves and some logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back