Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manufacture of a cheese grater

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyStIcTrE3

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2006
GB
What is each step involved in the manufacturing process of a cheese grater? How is the stainless steel cut and shaped into a 4 sided box? How are the sharp edges/ holes made? What type of machinery is used and how does each work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would imagine that the individual panels are simply stamped in a press with a louvering-type die that forms and partially pierces the grating slots in one hit. Then the panels are blanked out and assembled by crimping.

I'm just guessing. I'd have to get a look at one up close.

Don
Kansas City

Sounds like homework but a quick Google search didn’t help.

Stainless steel is steel with nickel and chrome in it. It is called stainless. Actually it has its own kind of staining like ordinary steel rusts. In stainless steel the surface layer is very thin and prevents ordinary rust.

You take wide roll from it and run it through a stamping press.

Example – when you drive a nail through steel it creates rough edges on the side where it comes out. This is how the little holes are made. With the big holes you have a big die with a lot of special shapes that cut most of the way around but that leaves part of the metal connected. The die pushes the metal out and stretches it into shape.

You now have set of holes in the right shape. Then the big shape is punched out as single piece.

Once you have the big piece it is folded many times just as you would fold a piece of paper over a ruler. Look at one. If it is like mine then the whole thing is made by folding. Think steel origami.

This isn’t my field but I think that is pretty close. We just supply materials for the die punches, etc.

Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back