Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Manufacturer Painting of Ball Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysa1975

Materials
Nov 14, 2007
GR
In a painting procedure of a valve manufacturer, the painting system applied for the floating ball valves is consisted from the following two layers
-first layer is chromium phosphate or nitrosynthetic, thickness of coat, once dried: 5/15 microns internal and external
-second layer Rapid-drying synthetic resin 15/35 microns external.
I have the following queries:
1. I know primers such like zinc, epoxy, etc. Nitrosynthetic first time met. If someone knows, please explain.
2. Is it something like the prefabrication primers in ISO 12944?
3. the project requirement is a painting system similar with C5 of ISO 12944. But the valve is stocked and already painted with their system. could we overcoat the valve supplied with C5?
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please, could someone tell me what would be a paint product "chromium phosphate / nitrosynthetic"? Could this product be used for the corrosion protection of ball valves?

The procedure should include the datasheets for the coating materials. If you are invoking ISO 12944 then you should be asking for the Part 6 qualification report. That will identify the paint materials. If you can't verify the paint, you will be taking it back to bare metal and starting again.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

I revert since the valve mfr has provided a technical data sheet of the paint from SORITEC SPAIN paints, type NITROTEC Nitrocellulose. Have you ever met such external painting for industry valves, meaning valves per ASME B16.34 used in plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back