Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Manufacturing process of Bending Magnet coil? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Jul 10, 2012
IR
hello everyone,,

I want to extract how Bending magnet coils of HGMS are made?
as you can see in the picture, it has a 3D shape consisting of some bends in different planes. this coil is made of several square-section cupper tube.
what is the best method for manufacturing such a part? or what is the current practice? does anybody know a manufacturer of these magnet Coil?
IMG_0052_zi3d4g.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear All,

there are more pictures of the naked state of the magnet coil here. any Idea about fabrication method, process? and tooling?

IMG_20161124_154327_iswt8g.jpg
IMG_20161124_150230_izfdvb.jpg
IMG_20161124_154335_et7rad.jpg

I have to say that wrongly I had posted this thread on the Solidworks forum. sorry about that.

It looks like an assembly of 6 different sized coils that are formed initially flat and then bent into the "U" shape. After all 6 coils are formed into the "U" with different sized radii they are assembled together.

I am led to believe the layers are fabricated separately because you have so many separate external connections and bending them all together would crush the innermost tube in the bends and destroy the insulation between layers which doesn't seem to have been the case.

Dear Hendersdc,

thanks for helpful comment.
yes, i share your veiw point. each of 6 separate coil are first formed in a trapizoidal-like shape then are bent to form the desired shape. afterward they are assembled.
the main concern is what is the winding method? my guess is it should to be a semi automatic process.
besides, what are the tooling? I have stablished a conseptual process for this. but I am seeking to optimize my solution by gathering more suggestion and Ideas here.
I was wondering if I could find somebody with experience of building such coil shape here.

regards.

I have seen them hand formed onto wooden bucks.
Very old school and time consuming.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

You can use paraffin also.
But if the tubes are fairly heavy wall then you may not need any filler for these gentle bends.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back