Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Manufacturing time study for a small business 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinsanity

Mechanical
May 10, 2011
CA
I've just completed 4 semester of my mechanical engineering technology program, i just currently obtained a summer co-op wher im to do a time study. most of the orders are small quantities of 2 to 100 mostly, some a few thousand but anyways the boss wants to introduce and incentive program where employees can earn up to an extra 20% of their wages per hour but they have to work for it. Im supposed to do a time study on each station (theirs about 20 to 25 stations where they bend, drill, form ect copper pipeing. i was wondering if i could get any insight on how to do a good time study report and how to go about the actual study?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are about to stick your head into a hungry lion's mouth. Go get a copy of Time and Motion Study and read the book.

Doing a time study you need to determine the following items

the standard elements/operations of the process
the standard tools to do the process
the raw cycle times of the elements
the average cycle time of the elements
the ratings for skill, effort, and conditions
the allowance for personal, fatigue and delay (PF&D)

Setup is not normally a part of a standard due to the differences between the setups and the number of repetitions that can be timed. But it can be done.

You will also find out very quickly that the workers will immdiately know you are going to impact their paycheck and how important being prepared to answer questions you will have to be. Wait and see how improvements will not be shared between workers and which jobs have easily made standards (gravy job) and who will get them.

I am on purpose being vague in the statements above as you will have to experience them to get an understanding not only of doing a time study but learning about human nature.

I was wondering how to reply when I read BillPSU 's reply.

It is an excellent reply.

This issue is incredibly complex and extremely emotionally charged.

check out the Hawthorne study at Western Electric. As illuminqtion increases so does productivity. Then decrease illumination. As illumination decreases so does productivity. Once the study is over everything goes back to normal.

I believe it was Deming who said "What gets measured, gets improved."

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

thx for the advice yeah i was hateing the fact he told the employees about the bonus and thats the reason im here i think he just wants average times and recommendations of possible improvements to his process and work environment. ive been trying to stay on good terms with the workers and for the most part have been successful but i can still tell theirs a few who are like who the hell is this punk comming in and trying to change shit up lol

Vince Hill
Vincentblairhill@hotmail.com
Mechanical Engineering Tech

Dear Vinsanity,

Well, you are bright and aware of people. Good for you. Address it as process improvement and it will be lot more pleasant for everyone.

I can strongly recommend the following.

4 Excellent Books

The Goal
Eliyahu M. Goldratt and Jeff Cox
Management advice as a novel – truly excellent for training “Process Improvement”

Dr. Deming
By Rafael Aguayo
Excellent, easy to understand explanation of the philosophy

The Turnaround Manager’s Handbook
Richard S. Sloma
Incredibly good on how to measure productivity in every area.

Profits Aren’t Everything, They’re the Only thing
George Cloutier with Samantha Marshall
New and popular. Good review of the basics

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back