Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manufacuring Thermionic Power Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMorlock

Computer
Nov 26, 2006
CA
Hello,

I'm new to this board, but I'd like to get some verification on an idea I'm working on.

In 2001, Eneco, a company owned and operated by Professors at MIT, delivered their "Power Chip", a semiconductor structure that delivers to the solid state realm the powers of a vacuum tube thermal diode.

However, their packaging technique has limited their ability to market the device. In the following 5 years, they still have not managed to make progress in this field.

I believe I may have found a solution to their manufacturing trouble, but I need verification from outside sources.

My idea is fairly basic. I want to rotate the diode interconnect assembly 90 degrees to bring it parallel to the substrate. This should make the process much easier to develop. Right now the device requires a laminating technique where the junctions are perpendicular to the substrate, which is very difficult to manufacture on such as small scale. I've included a couple pictures of broken open TECs (which use a perpendicular diode array manufacturing technique) as well as some lego designs of the new arrangement for visualization purposes. Please note that the final device would operate perpendicular to the heat source.

Please check out the images at
Thank you for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Frankly, I don't see that you invented anything that works. Heat flow runs parallel to current flow for a TEC. Your layout makes no physical sense.

TTFN

It's supposed to be a better TE cooler/heater than bulk material devices because the tunnelling vacuum junction blocks thermal conduction. Since the bulk material can also be made thinner and more conductive, the net heat flow can be greater and more efficient.

However, the devices operate on the same general principles as the standard TE device, i.e., the current flow itself moves the heat. That makes putting the hot and cold surfaces parallel to the current flow a non-starter

TTFN

You wouldn't see a temperature gradient in a powered version of this device?

I understood that the evolution of heat took place at the junction interconnects, not really inside the junction itself.

As for the hot and cold surfaces, they're still there, just dealing with hot and cold edges now instead.

Sorry, I meant heat evolution takes place within the interconnect, not inside the junction or the ceramic substrate.

The internal design of each diode prevents return flow, but the heat evolves into a hot carrier electron or hot carrier hole at the interconnect as it begins to traverse the semiconductor.

Which means that in this design heat flow would still be running in parallel to the current flow, just perpendicular to the substrate.

No heat is generated; it's moved by the current. The purpose of the ceramic substrate is to remove heat from the diodes and to spread the heat for the heat sink. Your substrates are shown in the pictures to be paralleling the current flow, thereby shorting out and reversing the junctions' heat transfer process.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back