Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapkey: set a parameter based on a condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loki3000

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2009
SI
i work primarily with wildfire 3 and creo 3, no windchill.
I have a parameter CONFIRMED = YES_NO, which states if the design has been confirmed by the buyer or not.
If it has been confirmed, that means that i unhide a couple of additional manufacturing-related objects on the drawings (more detailed notes, tables...).
sometimes the customer wants additional changes, which means that i have to set it to NO again after setting it to YES though.
Currently i have to set it by hand, but i wonder if it's possible to make a mapkey to do it? The mapkey would have to look at the current value of the param (yes/no) and set it to the other one.
is it possible to do that?

i know that's probably possible in weblink, but i'd rather do it with a mapkey (i am allowed to make mapkeys, but mgmt wouldn't understand anything else and would berate me for wasting my time...).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I could be wrong but I don't think you can do any kind of logical comparison in a mapkey.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I think this can be done with a drawing program. I haven't used them so I cannot give detailed advice, but what is asked for is what they were intended to accomplish - dynamic configuration of drawing items and views and such. Good luck as one of the reasons I know so little about drawing programs is PTC does not include any information in their help files that is sufficient to answer most questions.

It should be possible via a mapkey, but it will involve calling an external utility via the SYSTEM command, which allows the CMD processor to run. There aren't many examples of these and it requires knowing how to create CMD batch files to be of much use.

Drawing Program will do exactly as you want by setting layers visible/invisible based on a parameter value.
We have different security levels that get applied to our drawings. With each level, we have various symbols that need to be applied.
The symbols are on layers and when we change the classification parameter and then regen, it turns on or off layers.

I did not setup the drawing program, but I have had to modify it. Took me about a month of reading and digging to find the documentation and figure out how it works and then apply the mods. We are rolling out a new set of drawing formats on a different network and I did NOT include the drawing program in the new format. This may change, but I hope not. The layer switching on and off is the hardest part to get right. I have one classification setting that when applied will still have some layer be active but invisible when done and weld symbols seem to end up on that layer. The users when reminded to turn on that layer then have a dozen weld symbols to delete as they add multiple ones thinking the system is not placing them.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

i planned it to do with just hiding/ revealing a couple of notes (set state...) and make other notes parameter based (i.e. "" if confirmed == no and "asdfasdf..." if confirmed == yes (via if clauses in the drawing program, drawing parameters and states).

in what way is the layer-based approach superior? (i am not very familiar with it i must admit)

A layer is less programing because you can have any number of items on the layer.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back