Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marina Extension and algae growth Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rk020305

Civil/Environmental
Nov 20, 2006
US
I am working on a Marina extension Project and disscussing the possibility of running long canals from the current marina area to give more boat access to residents. the water in the canals are not recirculating and since here in northern california we have hot summer days the high water temprature will promote algae growth in the standing water.

I have suggested to pump the cooler water from groudwater and to the surface water so the temprature gradient cause the recirculation and slow down the algae growth. the pumping cost become an issue.

other suggession is to add air diffusers at bottom of canals.
my question are what are possible ways of stopping algae growth ?
is circulating water or adding air diffusers will help in stoppng algae growth?
does you or any body you know have dealth with such a problem?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe air diffusers are used in some reservoirs to stop algal blooms, basically they break down the stratification in the water column and this suppresses the outset of algal blooms.

Depending on the bottom sediments you may want to be careful in your diffuser design so that silt and nutrients are not resuspended, which may add to the algae problem.

thanks for your response Lih,
I have recently come across an algae control technology which uses an ultrasonic wave emitter that breaks down the algae. algacontrol.us web site has intorduced it,I need to find out more about the effectivity of this equipment and wondering if anyone experienced in using it in lake or marina in california

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back