Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marine Battery problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMLS

Marine/Ocean
Sep 12, 2006
US
I have replaced two 12 v marine starter batteries with two new 12 v marine starter batteries. They are connected in series to obtain 24 v to power a starter/alternator. They are used to start the #1 Generator and the Main Engine. The #1 generator started fine, but when starting the M/E the main negative terminal sparked and melted a part of the negative terminal. We needed the main engines so I connected the spare batteries which I had used prior to buying the new batteries. The main engines started up without problems. Once we anchored I switched over to the new batteries to test them. the main engine started without problems, I tested another time but with sparking results on the negative terminal causing it to maelt.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look for shorted and/or grounded windings in your starters.
Scrape your battery terminals clean before connecting the clamps. Make sure that the clamps fit securely on the battery posts.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

It does sound like your starter is having an issue or the engine is having excess cranking needs. Is there a bolt you can get a wrench on to try turning the engine to see if is having a problem. I've had this problem before.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back