Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marine growth on Gold plated surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

grayocean

Marine/Ocean
Apr 14, 2005
US

I need a surface that will be in the splash zone, in a saltwater environment, and to have as little marine growth as possible. What is the Best option regardless of cost? NiCu....Gold?

Does anyone have data for marine growth on gold surfaces. They say gold bars pulled from the bottom of the ocean are still just as shinny and the day they went onto the water. Is this just treasure hunters folklore or is there some truth to it?

Any help would be appreciated,
thanks,

lucas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the surface isn't toxic, growth will occur. I've found claims to the contrary to be snake-oil. I recommend you be careful of sales pitches, as no matter what you "dream of", someone will have a product they claim will fix it.

I could use a marine fouling paint, but the area in subject is essentially a mechanical bearing. Two floating concentric cylinders rotating with a 1/2" water gap between them. Paint might rub off with the cylinder clanging around. Also it needs to be in to water for multiple years with little maintenance. From what I understand, marine paint works from the copper flakes that are embedded in it. Copper is poisonous. Once all the copper dissolves into the water your protection is gone. The cylinders could be pure copper, but corrosion needs to be limited too. Hence Cu-Ni would seem to be the best choice..... But I'm still looking for a better. ?

Lucas

I've done a little research on bottom fouling, not enough, admittedly, but not too many years ago the big thing was oil of capsicum, hot pepper oil, as a part of the vehicle for anti-fouling paint.

NOT cayenne pepper, NOT ground black pepper, but the oil from the true hot peppers, ie, habaneros, Scotch bonnets, and the North or South Carolina varities that were supposed to be even hotter than the habanero.

Habaneros are about 350,000 Scofield units,average, 70 times as hot as a jalapeno, the Carolinas things are supposed to be 500,000 Scofield Units.

The oil, as part of the vehicle, is supposed to be so damned bad for barnacles and the like that they will not even try to attach to your bottom.

Your problem, however, seems to be that you want to protect a moving device, one that will supposedly wear off any coating.

Silver is used as an antibacterial. Could it be possible that a heavy silver plate would do what you want? As well as pure silver being a better bearing than lead or babbit?

Cheers,

George

If I read your post right, you need a foul-free surface, but the surfaces will occasionally rub which could waer off coatings.

First - material choice: CuNi will foul, just not as much as nickel or steel. Hence, pure copper would be better from this perspective.

Second - If it possible to provide AF control "from afar"? That is, could you dispense say a gallon of chorinated water every day into the area, enough to discourage fouling organisms from taking hold?

Third - is it possible to devise a somewhat automated cleaning operation? Perhaps a "squeegy" that cleans the surfaces twice a day, for example?

Last - be cynical of antifouling sales pitches. There's a lot more to it than simply adding an AF agent (be it TBT, or Cayanne Pepper oil) to a paint vehicle....which is why after decades of both government and self-funded research there still isn't anything better than now prohibited TBT paints or the current copper ablative paints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back