Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marine Loading Arms Nitrogen Pressurization Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawsan311

Chemical
Jun 21, 2019
AE
Dear All,

I would like to enquire on the requirement for nitrogen pressurization of Marine loading arms, I believe it is a safety requirement for keeping Marine loading arms position intact. Is there any international standard requirement reference for the same and :
- Is this a continuous requirement
- what is the sizing basis typically followed for estimating the consumption of N2 for the MLAs?

Thanks

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

News to me.

Any more details? Size, location, product in the arms?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

How exactly do you pressurise something which has an open end??

I don't believe their is any requirement but have a look at the Ocimf or isgott
If it isn't in one of those then it doesn't exist as an international requirement.

Personally I think this inertibg of everything is not justified and you're more likely to asphyxiate someone than have anything catch fire....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi LittleInch, after checking with the offshore designer, MLA need to be strictly pressurized with nitrogen to sweep the liquid on both sides of the inboard and outboard arms and then to be kept inertized to allow safe disconnection of the coupling from the ship in order to prevent any flammable mixture that would ignite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back