Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marine Operations ( Anchor Handling) References

Status
Not open for further replies.

sy123

Dec 1, 2005
US
I am Naval Architect moving into Marine Operations work and am trying to see if any engineers who post in this forum could give me some references on the following ( rigging,anchor handling ops, towing etc)

1) How to setup ( select components) for anchor handling or any other marine operations? ( ex: shackles, fishplates etc..how to arrange the setup configuration to accomplish any operation)

2) Functional description of the components? ex: what is purpose of using a fish plate or an open spelter socket etc
or How to choose a work wire?

I would really appreciate if any of the engineers could recommend any links that are accessible online instead directing me to material that costs a couple of hundred bucks to purchase.

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How large of an anchor are you dealing with? I used to teach anchor handling (20 years ago) for one of the military shipbuilders (large surface combatants). The 40,000 pound anchor, I think, is a bit larger than what you are looking for; however, we had instructor's manuals and student manuals that were very good at the basics. You may be able to contact Northrop Grumman Ships either in Pascagoula, MS, Newport News, VA, or New Orleans, LA. They may be willing to send you one, if they still create them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back