Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marine Pipe Marking text standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

aclemens

Industrial
Oct 12, 2009
US
I've found the marine pipe marking standard for colors (ISO/DIS 14726), but I can't seem to find one for the actual text of the markers.

The type of questions I'm looking to answer are:
-Where does the text is supposed to go on a marine pipe marker?
-Does the text cross the color band in the middle of the label or is it condensed to fit on one side, the other side or both?
-If it crosses the band, does it use the same color for the entire word, or does it use a contrasting color?

It HAS to be specifically for Marine Pipe Marking.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never heard of pipe color labels with text on them...
The idea for using colored labels is to avoid text, to identify a pipe with a glance of the eye.

just a few down to earth remarks:
-I believe as for many things,color labels were introduced by safety.
Does it increase safety when color labels are used?
1-yes,it helps unexpierienced people to get to know the installation
2-yes,it defines the risk issues when working on pipe systems
Does text on pipes increase safety?
for point 1 it helps to indicate the flow direction
introducing text,doesn't help (manufacterer of this text labels would probably only provide text in common terms)
eg:lubricating oil,ballast water,fresh water,...
so not much added value to yellow,green,blue color bands,...
for point 2 it only complicate things.procedures can well be linked to the color codes...

i again, agree. i think the purpose of a color band labeling system is to avoid communication barriers, that something like a text might create.

i do engineering/research/development for an industrial printing company that makes such products as these markers and seeing a company offer so many with the markers with texts just kind of threw me off.

it would only be something we used if there was a standard for it, because it otherwise just seems to be a waste or confusing.

i greatly appreciate the help.

DEF STAN 02-853 (available free from specifies tape with both identification colour and the written name of the service in ARTICLE 0502.

Reading the Standard, I don't think it answers all of the detailed questions you asked, or that any of the products you flag on the Brady website comply with it strictly - or for that matter that much of the pipeline marking I've seen on RN ships complies strictly either.

A.

Perhaps some information such as fluid names could cause issues for some people; still additional information is desirable at a few limited locations.

I worked on a kilometer long complex with about eight multiple deck platforms in addition to communications platform and multiple accommodations platforms. Several platforms were about the size of a football field. In addition to color bands and arrows, the pipe line numbers were stenciled on the piping at the bridge crossings between the platforms. This was a good thing. It is difficult for me to understand how this could be a bad thing. I like the colors, line numbers and would have suggested some of the fluid names at the bridge crossings.

Is this for ships, process/production facilities, or pipelines?

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

JLSeagull:
I really appreciate the input and upon further thinking, I believe we'll go ahead and offer the text/arrow option as well.

BigInch:
It's for a general marine purpose, so "all of the above" would be an appropriate answer to your question.

Again, sticking to the conclusion I previously came to, it appears to be an option and in this case; one we'll probably offer.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back