Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marine vs Ocean Engineering as a degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkat

Marine/Ocean
Sep 1, 2007
US
Looking at going to school originally for marine engineering/naval arch, while looking at different schools came across ocean engineering. After looking at the curriculum, I don't see a glaring difference. Looking for anyone in the industry to comment on any big differences. Not looking for suggestions on schools. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Marine Engg is most specifically the powering and mechanical operation of ships (inside of boats). Naval Arch can be defined as the structural and hydrodynamic performance prediction of ships (outside of boats). Ocean Engg is most specifically the study of the effects of the marine environment on structures and/or habitats (outside). All three overlap and dovetail nicely.

In my experience it really comes down to what you would like to do with your degree, and the courses that you take during your education. There is not a lot of attention paid to the title of your degree as long as the course work will back up your experience to preform the work. Pay close attention to the courses that are offered/required for the degree and to make sure that the courses are what you are interrested in.

From a FAQ at the US Naval Academy's website:

Q: What is the difference between Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering?

A: There are many similarities between the two majors - most importantly, they are both engineering majors that deal with engineering in the ocean. However, the two majors also differ from each other in content. Naval Architecture deals with the design of ships and ship systems. Ocean Engineering deals with other structures and systems in or adjacent to the ocean, including offshore platforms, underwater submersibles, coastal structures and other ocean systems and ocean environmental engineering systems.

I actually did a review/comparison of the various engineering degrees at the Naval Academy many years ago when I taught there.

Marine engineering "targets" vessels and includes significant courses on thermodynamics, power systems, and the like. Ocean engineering "targets" stationary structures.

Perhaps more importantly, I work in a marine engineering firm, and we hire both.

Naval Architect: STABILITY, HYDRODYNAMICS, HYDROSTATICS, STRENGTH, RESISTANCE, FLUID MECHANICS, FEM (FEA), CFD, MATALURGY ETC.

Marine Engineer: THERMODYNAMICS, DYNAMICS, STATICS, HEAT TRANSFER, METALURGY, STRENGTH, FEM (FEA), BOILERS, COOLERS, ENGINES, PUMPS, HYDRAULICS ETC.

and so on...

GOKHAN
Naval Arc.& Marine Eng.

I have a BS in Ocean Engineering, currently working as a mechanical design engineer on automotive switches, sensors, etc.

Peter Stockhausen
Pollak Switching Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back