Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Masonry infill wall in RC moment fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xnyzhangshulu

Structural
Aug 29, 2008
CN
How you guys model masonry infill wall in ETABS? ASCE 41 suggests using equvalent compressive strut to consider the effect of infill walls. Is there anyone who had done this before? Any comments will be thankful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This book by french author Albert Fuentes has a section on it. I think to remember it is in tome II.

There must be an english edition, I think.

In fact towards 1980 I designed a table to design and stabilize (small) fully isostatic steel structures with infills this way. I am sorry not to give the exact detail because the book is behind such amount of things I can't reach it without spending half an hour or more in the task.

It basically gives the strut geometrical configuration and the recommended checks.

You may also take a fundamentals approach: divide the inclined load in shear and a normal on the layers of brick. What effective section to take the forces, one can assume conservative values.

Also, the CBPI_manual4

D e s i g n o f C l a y M a s o n r y
f o r W i n d a n d E a r t h q u a k e

of Clay Brick and Paver Institute has a section for in plane loads for panels of brick. I have searched the web a bit and seems removed (whereas companion manuals are not) hence I assume it is seen outdated from the current codes' viewpoint. I have got a pdf copy of it and if you want I may send it to you.

I have also seen, and there must be tutorials for designing masonry buildings in ETABs. Look for them in the web.

I also found this in the web that has something of a book of Paulay and Priestley, I think I have also the book ...

Yeah, I have it 3 meters from me. Section 7.4.2 in the book, 8 pages long, hence better ferer you to the artible.

Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings
T. Paulay
M.J.N. Priestley
Wiley Interscience NY 1992

Design of Infilled Frames
p. 587 to 595

For the masonry compression strut forming between opposed nodes of the diagonal it gives an effective width of 0.25L where L would be the length of such diagonal, but then the checks follow and are not so easily transmissible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back