Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Masonry Text for PE Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS4U

Structural
Apr 2, 2007
US
I'm looking to get a masonry text book as I study for the PE exam. After searching this site it seems that one of these books are the way to go:

Design of Reinforced Masonry Structures by Narendra Taly

Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook: Clay and Concrete Masonry, Fifth Edition by James E. Amrhein

Now, NCESS says that the exam will be based on ACI 530-05. Does anyone know if the if Taly's book is based on this? The description on Amazon isn't clear. I don't think Armhein's book would be as it was last published in the late 90s.

If another good text dealing directly with ACI 530-05 is available- please let me know.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From Amazon's description "Fully updated to the 2009 International Building Code (2009 IBC) and the 2008 Masonry Standards Joint Committee (MSJC-08) . . ." The MSJC-08 another name for ACI 530-08 (and ASCE 5-08 and TMS 402-08). I have the first edition of Dr. Taly's text which is based on the 97' UBC and MSJC-02. CMACN's 2006 Design of Masonry Structures is another book to consider,

I found the 'cheat sheet' published by CodeMasters to be quite good. Most questions on the Structural I for masonry can be answered just by understanding basic stress computation versus allowable stress for simple cases. For the Civil-Structural test, this cheat sheet might be enough by itself (assuming you understand some of the theory behind it).

Beyond that, I taught myself masonry from the Amrhein "Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook". My version was older (but Free) so I had to pay attention to what had changed in the latest MSJC code, however, the handbook was an excellent source and I imagine a newer version would be the way to go.

VAStrEngr,

do you have a link to those "cheat sheets"? I've seen them and they are handy, but I can't locate them by Google search. Searching "Codemasters" gets me video games. :)

Thanks!

Wannabe is right, CMACN's 2006 Design of Masonry Structures is a good text. Gary Hart is a long time Masonry Heavyweight, and the other authors sit on the committee that writes ACI530. And if you are in California (or have a friend in California who will ship it to you) its only $30 right now since the 05 version is no longer the standard for most of the country as of Jan 1.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back