Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Masonry Wall Expansion Joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneStepBehind

Structural
Sep 23, 2010
US
I have a building that is 117' long with a 8" CMU wall that extends 12' AFF to a bond beam and a pre-engineered building above that. I am locating joints in the CMU wall and wondered if the joint should extend down to the footer? The foundation wall is also CMU and is just down to frost depth that is around 30" below grade. It seems to me that it should but I continually get into disagreements with others that don't think it needs to. Which should it be?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would extend joints down to the foundation. (footer?)

For concrete based block (i.e. CMU) they are control joints - not expansion joints.

Concrete block shrinks.

If you have a joint that runs down the wall and then simply stops - the joint will continue in the form of a crack anyway - better to control and seal a good joint vs. a crack.

A crack might continue down to the footing, but not likely. The shrinkage is a result of drying and thermal stresses, and buried foundation walls have pretty stable moisture contents & temperatures. If the foundation is completed and backfilled prior to construction of the above grade wall (as opposed to a continuously constructed wall), a damproof course should be inserted just above grade & the joints should start there. That serves to stop capillary action of moisture up into the wall and serves as a bond-breaker to allow the above grade wall to shrink and only crack at your joints. If you have a PEMB, I assume that the columns sit at top of foundation height and your CMU wall is replacing steel girts & cladding, not actually carrying the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back