Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Masonry Wall Shrinkage Cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan CA

Structural
Mar 10, 2018
CA
Hi,

We all know that masonry walls (brick or concrete) crack due to shrinkage. But, does shrinkage cause cracks through the masonry blocks (bricks or concrete), or through mortar only? Would you see a brick or concrete masonry cracked in half due to shrinkage?

Thank you for your answers in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Concrete shrinks, but if clay bricks shrink, that is news. Clay bricks expand.

I think you should look for other causes for units cracked in half.

Concrete does shrink, but in my experience rarely has a concrete wall cracked through a block due to shrinkage since they are cast with an insanely low W/C ratio concrete. Shrinkage cracks in masonry walls have always been in the mortar joints for me, any cracked blocks have been due to another issue/reason.

I would have to see the wall to be sure, but if the cracks are not uniform in width across the height of the wall, I would suspect some form of rotational failure. If they are uniform , then expansion / contraction comes to the fore. However, as mentioned above, cracking through the brick is not usual in this case,

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA, HI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back