Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mass and stiffness matrices in SAP2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural
Nov 18, 2011
CA
I have a 15 story concrete building modelled in SAP2000. Is it possible to get the program to tell me the mass and stiffness of each floor, i.e. I need the mass and stiffness matrices of the building. I have assigned diaphragm to each floor. Is it sufficient to tell SAP that I am looking for lumped mass at the floor and would like to get 15x15 mass and stiffness matrices? Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know the matrices are pretty buried in SAP and I don't know a way to get the, out directly. May be worth asking CSI help if they have any methods.

We don't respond to student on this forum.

This information in avalable in basic Dynamic Analysis Textbook.

As future engineer, you sould be able to assemble Stiffness and Mass Matrix by hand for these kind of problem !

PicoStruct -- Little harsh response don't you think? While I agree that people should be aware of how to assemble a mass and stiffness matrices ( I know I had to do a lot of them in grad school), your response didn't really answer the question. It's a little different assembling a mass/stiffness matrix for a 2-D frame than it is a for a large building with a significant amount of degrees of freedom. i.e. different being there are a LOT more terms to keep track of and it requires a lot of bookkeeping.

Just my two cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back