Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mass Flow Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerphish

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2003
US
When calculating the mass flow rate through a series of pipes, is the flow in the main line the sum of all the mass flow rates going into that line, or does it assume the value of the largest flow rate of all the pipes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

homerphish
Are you talking about a number of pipes running into a single pipe and a single pipe splitting into a number of pipes? Then unless you found some cheap way of transforming matter to energy and back you should take the sum of the mass flows of all the pipes that run into a single pipe to calculate the main pipe's mass flow. The individual mass flows of the parallel pipes might differ because of possible different diameters, lengths or materials that would influence the resistance to flow in each pipe.
Martindup

This reminds me of my fluids prof in college that stated the Civil Engineering Continuity Equation as...

Mass Out = Mass In - Mass Stuck in Pipe

Regards,

Vidaman

That much I figured, but does anyone konw what a reasonable mass flow rate is for a Hot Gas Defrost line running on a 500 ton system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back