Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mass production of odd Shaped Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdoske

Materials
Aug 2, 2012
US
I have been tasked with a very artsy odd shaped glass carafe design with an initial production design of around 3-5k. It outer diameter is 4"s and is about 9" at its widest point with a bend radius of 2.56"s. The carafe will be directly heated by the consumer as well so borosilicate glass will be used. I'm new to glass so I had some questions.

[ol 1]
[li]Is the quick mock design attached even possible using the blown glass production method or any other method I may not be aware of?[/li]
[li]Would one of the openings need to be removed after the glass is formed in the blow mold?[/li]
[li]Where do I get standards on draft and lip requirements for the glass design? Every blown glass I see has some kind of lip at the opening it seems. Im sure this is used to hold the glass in place as it is blown.[/li]
[li]Is the poring spout pulled from the molten glass post mold? It looks like that is how it is done to me in me most glassware examples I can find on the internet.[/li]
[/ol]

These are the two books I have found mentioned on the forum. Would they even help me because they seem more geared toward hand blown glass?
[ul]
[li]"Scientific Glassblowing" by E. L Wheeler and G. Ross Robertson[/li]
[li]"Scientific and industrial glass blowing and laboratory techniques" by W. E Barr[/li]
[/ul]

Wiki mentions these two production blow methods: ([ul]
[li]Blow and Blow[/li]
[li]Press and Blow[/li]
[/ul]

I feel like this carafe would need to be made using the blow and blow process because I think the press and blow would require the plunger follow the axis of the carafes curve as it pushes outward which I doubt most production machines even do.

Let me know what you guys think and what direction I should be designing. Obviously I will need to contact an glass container manufacturer at some point but I really wanted to get a small grasp of what was needed/possible before I even contacted them.

Thanks for your time and expertise,

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back