Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mass Properties of Multiple Parts in an Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJohns

Aug 30, 2012
US
I am trying to obtain the combined mass and CG of multiple parts in an assembly (in the assembly Csys).

I know you can do this for individual parts by activating them. And I know that suppressing parts will affect the mass properties analysis of the whole assembly. Unfortunately, I can't simply suppress everything but the parts in question because of mate and parent/child effects.

Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be able to get the mass and CoG's of the combined model and of each component in assembly mode using the mass properties analysis option, or by generating a mass properties report from the model properties; however, on the top level assembly the analysis will not break down sub-assemblies but rather report combined values. Also I would recommend using simplified representations instead of suppressing objects. That way you have a bit more control over what components you want included in the analysis.

Hope that helps and good luck,

- J -

The simplified reps is definitely the way to do it. It's fast, simple, and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back