Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mass Rigid Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlocos

Mechanical
May 13, 2006
IT
I'm using WF2, trying to simulate a beam frame and need to apply a mass on an external point in the space.
I have created a rigid connection between a point belonging to a beam and a point in the space, then assigned a idealization mass to the point in the space but i'm getting an error for the mass is not attached to any element. If I substitute the mass with a force the rigid connection works. How can i make WF2 understand that the mass attached to the point in the space has to be considered through the rigid connection?

Thanks to everybody.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may wish to use the Weighted Links functionality in WF 3. See this link.

It will work for loads and masses. BC will still require rigid links.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

CoMeT Solutions

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I've defined a dummy material that is very stiff and extremely low density to simulate a rigid connection by using beams. This should solve your problem if you're not using WF3 yet.

Tony

Carlocos,

Create a small "dummy" beam with only one side of it connected to your mass element. Make sure that the dummy
beam is very stiff (100X modulus of steel) and that is has
very little densitiy (i.e. mass) (set the density to .0001 lbm/in^3). The reason for the stiffness and density material requirements to ensure that the "dummy" beam would not affect any potential modal analysis results.

I typically create the "dummy" beam with a 1" sketched curve with one side connected to the datum point and the other end free.

Good luck,

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back