Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Master files reuse after leaving a company - reseal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antnyt23

Structural
Jul 11, 2012
US
So I'm currently in the process of switching companies. The company I am currently with has repeated designs that get reused on a regular basis.

I have reviewed and digitally sealed these documents. I am sure they will request that for a time frame of transition that i leave my crimper so they can "wet seal" documents.

While i have reviewed and digitally sealed the previous documents I don't see how i can possibly ethically do this in the fact that I will not be in supervision of what my seal is being applied to.

I was just curious if anyone else has run into this issue or if my assumptions above were correct?

My opinion would be that they can submit/reuse any of the digitally signed documents to jurisdiction, however, if the jurisdiction requires "wet seals/physical copies" they will need to contract another engineer to supply it as i cannot leave a seal/crimper as that is unethical.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this a low volume of sheets, or are you expecting hundreds of sheets?

If you have a good relationship and are leaving on friendly terms, then maybe offer to continue to wet seal these documents for a period of ~60 days. They can courier or fed ex the plans to you and you'll wet seal them and return them.

After the 60 day period the company is on it's own and will have to find a new engineer.

You should not "leave" your seal with others to apply to drawings no matter how much you trust them.

While you've reviewed the design on other project applications, you would NOT be reviewing the appropriateness of the design with unknown applications or situations.
That is the key. It isn't just the design but the use, application and appropriateness of the design for a given condition.

Even a replicated design must be designed and applied under your direct supervision.

What you should do is require your former company to allow you to review the future designs where you can then sign and seal them in accordance with engineering law.
If you want to be paid for this you are in your rights to ask for a fee. Otherwise, if they are friends, on good terms, etc. you can do it for $1.00.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Antnyt23 said:
So I'm currently in the process of switching companies

Well then your current employer should be in the process of replacing you or finding an outside consultant to stamp the drawings. Once you're gone, your seal shouldn't be appearing on any new documents.

As JAE mentioned, if you're on good terms and want to help them out, maybe you can continue to review and stamp the drawings for them - but make sure your new employer is okay with that, and probably even more importantly, make sure you still have insurance covering those services.

OG said it nicely! Ditto.

If you leave your seal for someone's else to use, you are likely violating your state law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back