Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master/Slave Master Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhart

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2002
Have been searching the internet all day for something that I was sure would exist: an electronically actuated master cylinder.

For my system, I have a slave (output) cylinder that is mounted remotely in a very tight space, so no room for using direct electrical actuation on the output cylinder. Currently, we have a very similar system with a custom-designed master cylinder (optimized for weight) which consists of a single-acting piston that pushes fluid to the slave; the piston is actuated via a screw turned by a small motor, which is controlled by a circuit board that is also a custom design. This system is great in most respects, except that now I need more travel (~2", current system only has 1.25"), and I really was expecting to find a single acting cylinder that functioned in a similar manner that could be purchased. Weight is not a concern with the design I am working on, so it would be foolish to design & machine more custom parts if it can be avoided.

Basically, I am looking for a programmable single acting hydraulic master cylinder with its own drive device attached (powered syringe), does such a thing exist? I need to avoid systems with supply pumps & reservoirs, as I will be running this system intermitantly from battery power. I am aware of the many electric cylinder designs around, but space is the issue, and I could not find one to fill my needs once you attach the motor.

I would like to mirror the slave cylinder if possible, which is 1.5" bore & 3.75" stroke, rated to 2000 psi although my application only requires <1000 psi.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is your power transfer critical? If not, perhaps you could bring down the bore size of the slave some. That would allow for some increase of travel using the same volume.

Ed

kcj,

Your suggestion is exactly what we had worked up and pursued for a couple of days, but then realized that packaging to the master cylinder would then also be and issue. We've decided to manufacutre our own master cylinder to eliminate packaging uncertainties.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back