Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Master thesis in Structural Engineering-Suggesions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supun93

Structural
Nov 28, 2019
LK
I haven't finalized a topic to do my master thesis in Structural engineering, but have some interest in steel related topic. I was thinking about doing an research on a special topic related to integrity of steel connections,steel members with relation to localized corrosion.Corrosion is not a compulsory thing but something related to structural integrity.I'm thinking about doing something valuable to the engineering family. any ideas to proceed?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gather and study information from professional steel journals. I think you need to familiarize yourself with prevention and testing too.

AISC (in the US) shall be the first stop. Find papers relate to corrosion, pay attention to references, and follow up if anything interests you. AIST may have some good papers, but I think it is more steel producer oriented. Another good source is RCSC, which is focusing on steel connections.

Why not work in industry for a while to get an idea? working will open your eyes to gaps in practical knowledge that demand attention. Then the challenge will be, finding the right prof to supervise the kind of study you wish to carry out.

I never was attracted to research because the profs at my uni were researching very specific and topics of narrow and remote use, when I saw in my co-op terms that there were massive holes in the standards being used by engineers practicing in the field. I think structural research and structural practice are far too divorced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back