masterbatch for polymers

Status
Not open for further replies.

campp

Automotive
Jan 29, 2014
AT
Hello,

I know that a masterbatch is a solid or liquid additive for plastic used for coloring plastics.
I 'm not sure if each type of polymer need a certain type of masterbatch.
For polyolefins may be used masterbatch support polyethylene, but for polyamide may be used the same type? The mechanical properties is affected because a chemical structure different? For polyester, acetals can use the same products too?
Normally for the polymers with chemical structure different to the support colorant shoul necesary a comptabilizer?
If you have any informations about type of masterbatch, the compatibility with the polymers and the influence on properties of polymers, please help me.

Please excuse me for expression in the english language.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

It is not possible to use the same masterbatch carrier to dilute down into PE, PP, PA6 etc.. Or rather it is possible but not a good idea. Polymers do not mix so you will get droplets of masterbatch inside your host polymer and that will lead to problems.

1. Uneven color. If you have a color masterbatch you will have specks of color not an even color (i.e. black droplets)
2. Poor impact resistance because the droplets act as crack initiation sites
3. Poor elongation to break again because the droplets are weak points where cracks start

There are claims and patents of "universal" masterbatch carriers but they are not truly universal. It simply means they work in some range of polymers but still not all. That is impossible. Even PE and PP with almost the same chemistry do not mix.

So, whenever possible, use the same carrier for your masterbatch as the polymer you are diluting it into.

Chris DeArmitt - PhD FRSC

Plastics & Materials Consulting

Plastic Training Seminars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back