Masters Dissertation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buildtech2

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2012
QA
Hi Everybody,
I am pursuing MSc in Building services engineering from Brunel university and in the process of finalizing a suitable dissertation topic for my Masters and I have decided to do research in Leeds, Green buildings.
I am thinking to consider an existing office building which was built as per conventional design methodology and upgrading its design suitable for Leeds certification by incorporating the following features.

Customising the existing Building Management and Control Systems to enhance the energy management and energy conservation.
2. Incorporating the heat recovery devices.
3. Modification of existing HVAC design.
4. Slight modification of existing architectural design.
5. Looking for the possibilities of utilising Gray water and A/C condensate drain etc.

I would appreciate If any body can provide any valuable advice on this topic or about any other topic which is commercially in a good demand.

Best regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isn't a dissertation supposed to be new, original, innovative material?

Your topics look like they came directly out of a random energy audit report generator.

Yes, I was also thinking the same. Can we not compare the building for sustainability in design. The idea is to design the building by using the conventional methods and redesigning it based on sustainibility design metholodogy (Green building concept)...

If you have any innovative topic which is commercially sound, please let me know asap.

Regards,

There should be an enourmous amount of infomration on the topic out there. Currently I am working on 4 projects with exactly that scope and budgets of $20m plus each.

Thanks Marcoh.

Do you think that comparing the building design for sustainability would be worth or I should choose any other topic.

I appreciate any valuable advice in this regard.

Please advice.

If you want to pursue somewhat original approach, you should consider something like opposite subject - we are terribly overburdened with "green stories", where much of push is initiated by politicians which want to present themselves as contemporary people, not by field professionals.

You could find number of example, for instance, where heat recovery is not feasible option, or where insistence on some green strategies directly adversely affect indoor air quality.

Of course, there is fear that you can enrage your professors that way.

In my time we were always learned that engineer needs to OPTIMIZE energy strategy for any specific project, not to use any fancy strategy by all means.

Thanks Drazen,

I think you are right upto some extent.

I understand that initial cost would be much higher by considering the green building strategy but energy consumption is reduced. Moreover, it is made mandatory in some countries to reduce carbon emmissions.

If the topic is not the green building, than what should be the most suitable topic.
Please advice.

Perhaps some not-so-technical research would be of benefit to the industry:

The Performance of Green Buildings Two to Five Years After Commissioning.

"Green Buildings" here means LEED certified, or built to ASHRAE 189.1, or Energy Star, or whatever standard was applied. These have been super-efficient spaces when commissioned. I wonder how long they stay that way.

A definitive follow-up of these projects would be enlightening. I suspect it might even be shocking.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

I agree with Drazen. I am pretty tired of all the hype regarding 'green' initiatives which from my experience just end up being an ESD consultants picnic. Most of the time there isnt the knowledge, ability or money to put half the 'bright' ideas into practice. Getting a simple PID loop tuned properly is pretty good going around here, and 9 times out of 10 you will be disappointed when you ask for a decent authority on a control valve (one valve manufacturers local head of sales doesn't know what it is).

How about determining what skills you would need to properly design, build and commission a HVAC system and then surveying the industry to see what skills are actually out there doing the engineering and commissioning?

You could pick a system type and go from there.....

Thanks Waramanga,

I totally agree with you and appreciate the topic you have suggested. There is a strong need to come up with these ideas in order to design the system in a more practical way.

How about the following topics, need your valuable advice.

"Design Decision making and ongoing Commissioning"

"Moving towards green (energy efficient) Chilled Water plant Design in the Gulf region"

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back