Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Matching faces in multibody part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertiewoo

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2015
US
Hi, I'm trying to insert Part A (a bike frame) to drive geometry in Part B (a cargo box for the bike) using Insert Part. This seems to work, but the front plane of Part A is offset from the front plane inside Part B for some reason.

Is there something I'm missing regarding inserting part A into Part B so that all their planes match etc? I was thinking of using a Move / Copy Bodies constraint to make the faces parallel, but I am not able to select them in the Move / Copy Bodies dialog box.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, you'd need to attach the file so we can actually tell what is wrong.

Second, using Insert Part is more for something like making a machined part file from the casting (the inserted part). It sounds more like you are trying to make the features of one part dependent on another. For that you would be better off putting both parts into an assembly and editing the second part in the context of the assembly so that it can be properly related.

Third, I'm guessing you are pretty new to SolidWorks. If that is the case then please do yourself a huge favor and go through the built-in tutorials: Help -> SOLIDWORKS Tutorials. You will very quickly learn a lot of great information and be very capable.

- - -Updraft

Thanks Updraft! I am new to solidworks (coming from NX where there are no assemblies). I'll look into in context editing, and go though some of the tutorials.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back